Pages

Friday, January 4, 2013

Book One of 2013: The Life of Pi

By: Yann Martel



My first book for the year! I will admit that I became interested with this work because of the film. After I saw the trailer, there was something on it that made me so excited about it. Probably, it was Ang Lee. Maybe, it was on 3D. Or maybe it was the idea of being in a boat with a Bengal Tiger. Judging the trailer, I know I have to read this book before it even show on the big screen. 

A part in The Life of Pi said that it was a story that will make you believe in God. God being the Supreme Being, God being the source of salvation and hope, and God being the one thing you will need in moments where you have the most impossible of circumstances. As I read the book more, I lost track of this idea. I was more into Pi’s story – his struggles, his encounters, and of course his relationship with Richard Parker (the tiger).

The story was enchanting. How it was written definitely blew me away. It was never hard imagining the scenes because of how every adjective were placed. Most of the time, parts became too real because of how Martel describe every encounters. You will feel Pi’s longing, his fears, his helplessness, and his devotion by just reading the words. This book is really a piece of work.

The book can get slightly boring at first. Believe me, there was no problem stalling the “where it all begin” part. But as you move on, and discover Pi’s opinion about God, religion and faith, everything will start to entertain you. Then, you will be glued to it. You will start liking it so much that you want to finish it right away. Until you reach the ending which I felt it doesn’t deserve. Maybe the story became too out of this world for me and too amazing that when it ended that way, I never see it coming. It was still a good ending, though.

Definitely, The Life of Pi will make you believe in God. After reading the book, it will make you understand suffering as a way for God to manifest his amazing abilities. I learned a lot from the book. However, there Pi said something and it struck me big time.
Despair was a heavy blackness that let no light in or out. It was a hell beyond expression. I thank God it always passed. A school of fish appeared around the net or a knot cried out to be re-knotted. Or I thought of my family, of how they were spared this terrible agony. The blackness would stir and eventually go away, and God would remain, a shining point of light in my heart. I would go on loving.
Amen to that!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Parang inspiring talaga ang book na to based solely on your review sir. :)

    Ang akala ko, Pi, as in 3.14159! HAHAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, dun talaga nakuha ung name ni Pi. Very good, Pao Kun

      Delete
  2. di ko tuloy alam kung na publish ko comment k haha

    ReplyDelete