Saturday, December 1, 2012

Cheaters



How the three of us were tangled still made me grin.


The two of them were married two months before He and I met. I was 23, he was 22 and she was 33.

I worked as a QA in a call center, then.  She was a teacher. And he was on his last year on college where all of his classes started at four in the afternoon.

Our normal day was like this.

Since she and I worked on different shifts. They will leave their house at seven in the morning, while I was on my way home. Our houses were blocks away. He will wait for me at the same waiting shed where she left him.

Then, we will go to their house. We will eat together at the same table where he will lie to her that he doesn’t want to have breakfast. Then, he will let me sleep at their bed. At three PM, I will accompany him to school. After his class (around eight PM), he will drop by our house, I will go to work while he waited for her at the same spot I left him

He was nice. Every time I woke up, he will get me a glass of water, and then he will tell me to sleep again. In moments where I used to have difficulty in sleeping, he will lie down beside me, hugged me, and then sung a lousy version of my favorite song. It was Everywhere I Go by Katherine Mcphee. If she had part time job on Saturday, he and I will go to the market, and then we will cook pasta for our lunch making sure that there will be no leftovers so that she will never notice. Sometimes, we go to the mall, play in the arcade, and then watch a movie while our hands were locked together. We just enjoyed ourselves. The two of us spent each day laughing at how she nagged at him and her silly antics. We will walk the streets of Sta Mesa without even thinking where we will go. We will try all the street foods at Teresa and compare which one taste best knowing that they all stay the same. That was how corny we turned out to be.

 Hence, like any other complicated relationships, what we had never last. Being happy was never enough. While we were sitting at PUP’s lagoon, we realized how worst we became. He started lying to her just to be with me. I started questioning myself if what we have was right. And the two of us made a lot of enemies starting from neighbors who loved to gossips up to my friends who kept asking me why I even let it happen.

Though we were both happy, we realized how weak we can get.

Our breakup was fast. It  happened via SMS. After a year of being in cloud nine amidst the hell that surrounded what we have, one day he just realized how much he loves her, and then I realized how stupid I became. I know it was wrong, but I still allowed it. I know he was the right one, but he was already taken. And though I’ve experienced being in a family where mistresses became a household name, I turned out to be one myself. Though it was hard to accept, I realized that it was best for both of us. Aside from there was nothing left to contemplate on, there was also nothing left to hang onto. We could continue, but if we did, we would make more mistakes, we would hurt more people, and we will just keep on hanging to the cloud that made us float. We will keep on flying until we fall into the ground so hard because we were so high above. We will continue being wrong.

On his breakup text, he said, sana mas maaga kang dumating, para hindi ako sa kanya, at habambuhay akong magiging sa iyo (I wish you came earlier, so that I will never be her’s, and I will be forever yours).

I'd read the last two words as Never Yours.


8: Tracy Chapman's Never Yours

citybuoy | ♔ıǝɹɯɐı♔ | Leader of the Opposition | ןıuǝ oɟ ɟןıƃɥʇ | Orange Wit | Spiral Prince

15 comments:

  1. well love makes us the foolest of the fools i mean thinking was the last thing you'll do in love,
    well you deserve someone better someone you can consider yours,... only yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well said, mecoy. :D there will always be something in love that will make us disoriented. :D

      Delete
  2. i don't know if this is autobiography or fiction but it's just brilliant, it reminded me of Cecilio and Kapono's I Am the Other Man. What is most tragic about this type of story is that although we are led to feel for you as the tragic figure, it is quite the reverse since the waters of life will surely recede for him and he will be trapped in a prison of his own making knowing no way out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I was nervous about how you will react on this one. :D I thought you will not like it but ever since Nyl gave the prompt, I figured it was about time to introduce HIM to my readers.

      Well, it was a rough story. Remembering it still makes me question myself if I was really that fragile. Haha.

      Delete
    2. Oh, the story is not fiction. LOLs

      Delete
    3. so it is true that anime character in the picture is really him, and not you then? just brilliant all the way around!

      Delete
    4. I guess the anime was me. :D

      Salamat LOF.

      Delete
  3. Is this your real life story? Tsk. Love is a bitch. Didn't know you had an Anne Curtis welled up inside LJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also never thought of that. I guess when you are in love you never realize who is Anne or who is Christine, you just become Derek - you feel, you respond and you think at the end. :D

      Delete
  4. Wow! Naging QA ka na pala. Ako I've always been an agent. I hate the QA post from the start :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yeah, I made sure that before I left the industry, at least I will get promoted. I love the post and I understand why you hate it so much. :D

      Delete
  5. Is this the story you told me sa Moonleaf? Grabe, the things we've done no? Maybe in another life?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yeah. True... probably in another life.

      Delete
  6. yeah sometimes love can get the better of us..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes, it can also give us hell. :D

      Delete