Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

The Last Lecture

Remember my landlady who always ask me to do the projects of her kids? Well, before summer started, she gave me another assignment. It is another book report that his child has to do while he is on vacation. His school is really weird. Students on summer break should be enjoying summer!

Did I do it? Well, no. haha! This past two months has been a struggle for me. Aside from adjusting from morning to night shift, it has been so hot in the Philippine Area of Responsibility that staying in one place is really not an option.

Let’s talk about The Last Lecture.

What it is: The book is all about Randy Pausch’s last speech at the university where he used to teach. Randy was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer, and was given by his Doctors a couple of months to live. The book documented the things that he taught in the lecture, how he spent his life after he find out that he was sick, and his plans for his family.

The Last Lecture is all about Randy’s legacy.

I already anticipated that it will be one emotional book. Well, it is, at some extent. But, the book talks more about Randy’s childhood dreams and how those dreams can help you in the future.

What I Love About It: When Randy said, “The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out; the brick walls are there to give us a chance to show how badly we want something,” I know that the book is talking to me. With the things that are happening to me lately, the phrase served as a bucket of cold water waking me up and telling me that everything will be fine. Yeah, I am encountering a lot of walls lately. Most of the time, I just became too weak and let them take the best of me. Now I understand that walls are there because I have big dreams and all I need is a hammer big enough to crush the walls in front of me. haha!

Another quote that made me love the book is when he said that, “It's not about how to achieve your dreams. It's about how to lead your life. If you lead your life the right way, the karma will take care of itself. The dreams will come to you.” Now I know what hammer is needed to crush the walls – make sure that you lead your life the right way. True enough, as long as you are doing everything right, not hurting anyone and taking advantage of anybody, everything will fall into place. There is nothing left but for your dreams to come to you.

What I Don’t Love About It: Randy Died. Period. Haha!

Recommended for: The book is highly recommended for all, it touched my heart, definitely, it will also touched yours.

After reading it, I thought of my landlady’s son. I still won’t do the whole report, but I will help him with the questions. I guess that will be the right way. :)

Watch the Last Lecture below. :)

13 comments:

  1. I've read this book, and it made me cry. I felt bad that Randy died. (parang close kami diba?) Also, ngayon ko lang nalaman na may video pala siya. Thanks for posting it LJ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just typed it on youtube, then taadaa! Yeah, it also makes me feel sad the idea that Randy died.

      Delete
  2. when i saw this, i figured the book will be similar to tuesdays with morrie. i like that quote you picked, very true. what book is this for you, lj? how old is your land lady's son? like a boy or something that he can't attend to his things? PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the book to me is like the alchemist, definitely it will be something i will read again when i feel lost or something, hahaha! He is going on third year high school, he is on a science high school we. :)

      Delete
    2. Sorry to make singit/epal. The young boy is already in third year high school already? Oh.Em.Gee naman I can't believe there are mothers who don't train their kids to do their homeworks on their own. Paano siya matututo magbasa niyan(or at least mag-effort diba?) Diosmio :(

      Delete
    3. good for you then. ganun, ang laki na nun ah! PM

      Delete
    4. Jen, as a teacher, how do you feel about that? Well, yes PM, he is old enough.

      Delete
    5. In cases like this, naaawa ako sa mga students pero ang gusto kong awayin is yung mga parents nila. Kaya nga nila pinag-aaral ang mga anak nila so that they will become independent learners, wise, knowledgeable and to survive life. Pero para saan pa ang paggastos sa edukasyon nila kung ang gusto nila eh i-spoonfeed mo ang lahat sa mga anak nila? I understand kung kailangan kumuha ng tutor or other means of help. pero minsan kasi yung tutor na yung gumagawa ng homework nung bata. Mali na yun. Help is given to a certain extent lang dapat. Tapos kapag binigyan ng teachers ng low grade ang anak nila sila pa ang nagrereklamo. It's unfair naman for the teachers kung sila ang babalikan nung parents diba.

      Naku LJ,sorry napahaba ang comment ko :(

      Delete
    6. your okay, kaya nga i said no. Its unfair lang

      Delete
  3. I have had this audiobook on my iPod since it came out. I haven't found the courage to listen to it yet. But after reading the quotes you posted. I might have to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it immediately Sylvia, it is something worth reading, er, listening to

      Delete