Pages

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Witch of Portobello

By Paulo Coelho

While I was doing last month’s blog activity, I stopped reading. Haha! I was back in the night shift and it was really hard adjusting to my new schedule. Most of the time, I was sleeping. Aside from that, the weather was hot that made me too lazy to even do something.

But, it’s always nice to get the motivation to read something back. Enter, The Witch of Portobello!

What it is: At first, I thought it was a true-to-life story so while I was sifting thru the first pages of the book, I started researching about it on Google. Only to find out that it was just fiction. Haha! The book was about a girl named Athena, her mission, and the process she went thru in order to complete it. The theme about the book revolves about finding one’s true self and being aware of the energies of the world. A lot of feminism idea was also shared in the book.

What I liked about it: The book was written in a way that it will begin and ends with a mystery. It was also written in a cool way – doing a biography using the different views of the main character’s friends and family members. What is really cool about reading Paulo Coelho books is that he will share with you an idea about history or religion and you will not be bored with it. You will understand that it will always be part of the whole story. Gypsies were also emphasized – their history, views and cultures were also described. It is always nice learning something new from people that you rarely encounter. It also centers on how powerful a woman can get. The idea of the book on how woman affects religion, culture and society will always be enlightening.

What I don’t like about it: There is only one thing about the book that I don’t like. Probably because divorce is never practiced here in the Philippines but the book mentioned that if someone gets divorce, he or she cannot take the Holy Communion. That is something I really don’t understand.

Moral Lesson: Paulo Coelho will definitely give you something you can ponder on when you read his books. Well, the book really concentrated on answering “Who am I?” and doing everything to answer that question. He wants us to be like Athena, fearless and dedicated. She will do everything in order for her to know what her mission on this world is. She will try her best to succeed on it. Because she knows that by doing such, she will be complete.

I guess that is something that we can all ponder on. Knowing what you want is one thing, but doing everything to achieve something will always be a good trait.

Enjoy Reading!

*********************************************************************

On other news, other news talaga! Haha! My blogger friend PM will have a project where she will give notebooks to bright and worthy kids from Bataan. We will definitely appreciate if you can help out, you can check her post here.

12 comments:

  1. The last Coelho book I read was By The River Piedra, I Sat Down and Wept. It was a nice read, but the story was a bit dragging. I haven't had the time to pick up any of his newer works. What do you recommend that I absolutely have to read? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By The River Piedra is really nice, however it was too depressing for me. Hmm... Tough one, After The Alchemist, you can go with The Winner Stands Alone. That book is interesting. After that, go with The Devil and Ms. Prym.

      Salamat sa comment shattershards!

      Delete
    2. I'm done na with The Alchemist. Funny thing about that book, I've lost 3 copies already. haha! Sige, will look for Winner and Devil. :-)

      Delete
    3. hahaha.... My copy of the Alchemist is also lost, i don't know kung asa hiraman ba siya or it became lost when I started moving out to a different place. hahaha!

      Delete
  2. The last of his books that I've read too was By The River Piedra. I am in love with Paolo. Should definitely read this soon! Thanks for this review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ms Chievous, welcome back!

      Yeah, this is really a good one. One for the ladies!

      Delete
  3. i think you cannot receive communion because you have broken a sacrament if you get divorced, lj. nice review, love the format. LOL. sent you email about our project. many, many thanks! PM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha. I know you will love the format, thank you for letting me use it. :D

      yeay! I am so excited about it. :D

      Delete
    2. ako nga din eh :) i forgot to say, when i first read the title, i thought about mushrooms. LOL i just posted a book review, pareho tayo ng laman for today, nice! PM

      Delete
    3. hahaha.... At least diba, we can still update our blogs. :)

      Delete
  4. Huhuhu... I haven't read a book lately :(

    ReplyDelete