Pages

Monday, November 5, 2012

Shooting Kabul Book Review

By: N.H. Senzai




I got the book for fifty bucks at the NBS book sale at Megamall. Isn’t that a steal? I never appreciated book sales because most of the books being sold there doesn’t fits my interest. However, reading Khaled Hosseini’s work made me more interested in the land-locked country. You can read my thoughts on Hosseini’s work here. For now, we will concentrate on Shooting Kabul.

What is it about: Shooting Kabul is a story about an Afghan family who left their country while the Talibans were still in power. It was all Walt Disney like until the youngest member in the family was accidentally left behind when they escaped. Yes, a six year old girl was left behind in Afghanistan while the Talibans ban a lot of stuff and make people miserable in their own country.

I want to think that this book is really how the family blamed themselves because of Miriam’s lost, however, almost every one who knows them told them that it was faith that the poor little girl got separated.

What I love about it: The main character in the book, Fadi, will impress you. He really beat the hell out of him when Miriam got separated. He was so persistent in getting her sister back. I also adore how important family to the Afghans, seriously, they have honors and codes that needs to be followed.

Fadi also has photography skills. He used this to get his sister back.

What I hate about it: Granted, I really don’t like the Talibans. I also like the fact that a Filipino was the bad guy in the story. Haha. Sorry, I’m patriotic. But I never expected how the book ended. Yes, it has a great conflict and you will be really curious about how will they get the girl back. When it ended, I was like, seriously? Is that it? Haha.



The book is an easy read. Definitely, your kids will like it. It’s a children’s book, by the way. Now, I am thinking why I get it. Haha.

___
Oh, Please do check My Universe! Follow niyo na rin po. Thanks. :) 

6 comments:

  1. nice if i were to read books ill consider this one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, this is an easy read, Mecoy. :D Go go go!

      Delete
  2. Hmm mukhang interesting. Ang hilig mo pala sa books ha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, its interesting at some parts. :D hindi lang po ako sa books, mahilig, Mac. Haha. Salamat sa pagdaan. :D

      Delete
  3. wow, pahiram naman after mong mabasa yan. hehe. Mag kikita na rin tayo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tim! Hello sa iyo. Actually tapos na ako, if you want I will just give you my copy. Xmas gift na rin, lols.

      Delete