Pages

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Book Thief

By: Markus Zusak



Who would have thought that I will fall in love with it? It was never part of list of books I want to read. I almost forgot PM’s review about it, but I guess the book really means a lot to her that she kept on insisting that I should read it. Maybe she thought that I will not read it anytime soon so she just sent me the file.

I am so glad she did.

The Book Thief is like reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower, 13 Reasons why, and The Catcher in the Rye all at the same time. It has the same feel to it. Hence, The Book Thief has a more dramatic feel to it. While I was reading the book at The Company, I notice that when the book reach a part where it is difficult to grasp, I distract myself, because if I don’t, I think I will cry.

Let me elaborate how the book made me feel. It made me send a Skype message to Nyl saying, “ Isn’t it nice that we were never born during World War Two and we are not Jews?” Of course, Nyl was surprised, I imagined his reaction while working and then the weird thought suddenly showed up. But seriously, that is how it made me felt.

I am thankful that I was born in a time where everything is not so mayhem like Nazi Germany. Because there, whether you are Jews or you have blond hair, you still suffer, one way or another. There, misery is like pain, you really have to learn to live and survive through it. The thought of having nothing to eat, children stealing apples, boys being taken from their families in order to serve Adolf Hitler, being whipped for helping somebody else and not seeing the sky for 22 months, its haunting. I don’t think I will handle anything that intense.



What I really adore about the book is the way it was written. How the words were played to create a perfect story. There is no favorite characters because you will fall in love with every single one of them. I want to have a friend like Rudy, I see myself in Liesel’s passion for books, I want to be like Hans, have Rosa’s heart, and I want Max’s optimism.

PM said that this is her favorite book for 2012. I could not agree more. The Book thief will make you understand how to value the people who matters to you, how you can make a difference in your own little ways, and most definitely how much we should value World Peace!

Also, The Book Thief is my favorite book for 2012!


Markus Zusak, definitely, you made them right.

14 comments:

  1. Read this book, too, LJ.

    yeah, I agree with you. Also grateful that I was not born in those trying times. Di ko alam kung ma-survive ko 'yun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ms. N! Hello.

      Naku, ako siguro, I will try my best to survive. I really have no idea how many oranges I will steal, LOL. I am trying to read some stuff why Hitler hate the jews.

      Delete
  2. nice review. i felt the same way and it made me savor my freedom and the stars never looked more pretty. this is just heartbreaking but in a beautiful way, idk how that makes sense. oh so you are in skype too? i was not able to sms later. i was KO. ps. love the new comment form.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Thanks for sending me the file, btw. :D

      Yeah, after reading the book, everything seems so pretty, except rats which are as big as cats. lol.

      I found you on skype, hahaha. we should chat sometimes. :D

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yep, it did. :D Blog comments using blogger needs to be saved first. :D

      Delete
  4. wow three books at a time this must be really great i love that last quote

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, you should read it mecoy. Something about it will just make you appreciate words more.

      Delete
  5. Now I'm convinced. Haha. You should send me the file LJ. Perks too XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha. I forgot to ask you your email address.

      Delete
  6. and i want to read this book..

    as in now :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pwede ko naman siguro ishare ang pdf, ano email mo?

      Delete
  7. your review makes me want to read it! haha. i only have 3 months left to read that if its gonna be my fave book for 2012. ;) great review LJ. :)

    im also glad i was not born during those trying times. whew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tina! Welcome. :D

      Well, I checked Bestsellers on Podium and they are not available there. Actually, they don't have much stock of the books here in RP. I can send you a PDF file, send me your email. :D

      Delete