i haven’t written anything about my favorite book. shameful. hahaha. so, i think i will just leave you guys the reason why i love it.
here are some quotes from the book.
· we are told from childhood onward that everything we want to do is impossible. we grow up with this idea, and as the years accumulate, so too do the layers of prejudice, fear and guilt. there comes a time when our personal calling is so deeply buried in our soul as to be invisible. but it’s still there
· it’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting
· everyone seems to have a clear idea of how other people should lead their lives, but none about his or her own
· people say strange things, the boy thought. sometimes it’s better to be with the sheep, who don’t say anything. and better still to be alone with one’s books
· one’s personal legend is what you have always wanted to accomplish. everyone, when they are young, knows what their personal legend is. “at that point in their lives, everything is clear and everything is possible. they are not afraid to dream, and to yearn for everything they would like to see happen to them in their lives. but, as time passes, a mysterious force begins to convince them that it will be impossible for them to realize their personal legend….whoever you are, or whatever it is that you do, when you really want something, it’s because that desire originated in the soul of the universe. it’s your mission on earth
· the boy felt jealous of the freedom of the wind, and saw that he could have the same freedom. there was nothing to hold him back except himself. the sheep, the merchant’s daughter, and the fields of andalusia were only steps along the way to his personal legend
· well there is only one piece of advice i can give you’ said the wisest of the wise men. ‘the secret of happiness is to see all the marvels of the world, and never forget the drops of oil on the spoon
· you have been a real blessing to me. today, i understand something i didn’t see before: every blessing ignored becomes a curse
· the sheep had taught him something even more important: that there was a language in the world that everyone understood, a language the boy had used throughout the time he was trying to improve things at the shop. it was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired
· he still had some doubts about the decision he had made. but he was able to understand one thing: making a decision was only the beginning of things. when someone makes a decision, he is really driving into a strong current that will carry him to places he had never dreamed of when he first made the decision
· there is only one way to learn,” the alchemist answered. “it’s through action. everything you need to know you have learned through your journey
· tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. and that no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dreams, because every second of the search is a second’s encounter with god and with eternity
· when you possess great treasures within you, and try to tell others of them, seldom are you believed
· then you’ll die in the midst of trying to realize your personal legend. that’s a lot better than dying like millions of other people, who never even knew what their personal legends were
· what's the world's greatest lie?... it's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate
· we are afraid of losing what we have, whether it's our life or our possessions and property. but this fear evaporates when we understand that our life stories and the history of the world were written by the same hand
· when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
· it was the pure language of the world. it required no explanation, just as the universe needs none as it travels through endless time.
i am so sorry for the long post. there were a lot of good one kasi. :)