Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Day 05: The Wedding

I anticipated that I will be using the alternate question for this day. Here it goes.

Your daughter tells you she is bringing home her boyfriend for dinner. When they arrive, she introduces you to a man who is not your same race. Sometime during dinner she announces that they have been married for the last six months. What bothers you more? The difference in race or being excluded from the wedding…

Honestly, like PM, it will not be a problem with me.  She can be a marry a Martian and as long as she is happy, I will be the happiest Dad possible. There will be a little problem though.

My mom, my siblings and the rest of my Mom’s extended family.

We are a typical Filipino family. My grandmother has 12 children and all of them are close. Like they really back each other up whenever something went wrong with someone. I think this is a normal trait to us Filipinos and I am really proud of it. It is also something that they taught all of their children, and right now, all of us are close. All 45 of us, you got it right, my grandmother’s grandchild is 45. Haha!

Everything has to be a collective effort. If someone got married, a family will sponsor the dress, someone will spend for the invitations, if a family does not have money, he helps out with the preparations. A nephew will celebrate his birthday and the same thing happen, someone will spend for the cake, the ice cream, someone will buy the ingredients for the spaghetti that my mom will cook, and someone will be a clown to entertain the kids (ehem!).

I remember when I graduated. Since me and my mom were struggling financially, I opted to just have a simple lunch with my family however my relatives didn’t allow that. After the ceremonies, my cousin picked us at our house in Cavite and drove us back to Sariaya where a feast was already prepared. It was the best graduation party ever!

Which is why I love my family so much, including my extended family. Our parents taught us that though we rarely see each other and we don’t know what was happening in our lives, no matter what happened, we have to make sure that we support each other. We all learn to watch each other’s back.

Before this post bore you, I will go back to the question. Since weddings are important to us, if this happen, I will already anticipate a chaos. I know that some feelings will be hurt but definitely we will still go back to the things that we learned from our grandparents. If ever this happen, I know what my relatives will do. Though they were already married and having a great time, I am sure, my family will prepare another wedding for them.

And whether my daughter likes it or not, she will wear another white dress, walk on our old church’s altar, and have the best wedding reception of her life. With me and close to 100 people that will definitely support and be happy for her.

8 comments:

  1. What about a Venutian? Everyone will accept someone from Mars but what about someone from Venus? I expected a lot of people to use the alternate question today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha... Venetian will also do, it doesn't change everything.

      Delete
  2. wala ka sa lolo't lola ko! i have 46 cousins, add me and my bro, we're all 48..haha! 12 din magkakapatid sila mudrakels.lols..tama ka. ganyan nga ang magkakamag anak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its fun living on a big family diba? lalo na pag sobrang close kayo sa isa't isa.

      Delete
  3. I would just be devastated about not being there! As you say, weddings are such an important milestone in some cultures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Filipinos are paaarteeey lovers! Kahit big or small news, good or bad, basta may reason to celebrate, go sago lang! :) After the celebration, lilipas din ang kahit anong sama ng loob na meron sila. Cheers! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oo naman, let's cheers to that! :D

      Delete